Fire Safety Tips for Summer Sizzles

0
310
views


March is when the summer heat starts to sizzle. The surroundings get hotter, and so does room temperature. One electric fan is not enough to keep the cool ambiance of a room. And to stay in a room without ruining their mood, what most people do is to plug in more elecric fans. This often causes the onset of fire.

Here are some advice to keep you from the perils of fire.

Tip no. 1: Be fire-safety conscious. March is called Fire Prevention Month because everyone is encouraged to be fire-safety conscious to prevent fires from destroying lives and property.

Tip no. 2: Keep matches out of children’s reach. Children play with anything they see. To prevent children from starting a fire unwittingly, keep matches and lighters in safe locations.

Tip no. 3: Keep lit candles away from combustible materials. Newspapers, curtains and alike can be burned easily, so they must be placed away from lit candles to avoid conflagration.

Tip no. 4: Do not use substandard electrical wiring and equipment. Most of the news about fire point to faulty electrical wiring as the main cause, so everyone is reminded to use only the best type.

Tip no. 5: Avoid using electric fans for 24 hours and place ithem away from curtains. A usual cause of fire is electric fans overheating and snagging curtains. Unplug electric fans when not in use away from curtains to prevent fire.

Tip no. 6: Do not smoke in bed. There are many inflammable materials inside the bedroom – pillow cases, bed sheets and blankets. Cigaret butts could burn them easily and cause fire.

Tip no. 7: Unplug and shut off electrical equipment and LPG tanks. Always make sure to disconnect and shut off electrical equipment and LPG tanks when not in use and when leaving the house.

Tip no. 8: Never leave your kitchen when cooking. If you have to leave the kitchen, make sure to turn the stove off and take the pots off the heat.

Tip no. 9: Avoid octopus connections. Octopus connection is the overloading of electrical outlet, and one of the leading causes of fire in households.

Tip no. 10: Keep inflammable liquids and combustible items away from the stove. Inflammable liquids such as oil, fuel, kerosene and other combustible materials must be kept away from the stove for they can cause fire when heated.

Tip no. 11: Use smoke detectors and alarms, and make sure they are working. Installation of smoke detector and alarm is a big help to locate fire and to determine if it is still controllable.

Tip no. 12: Defective appliances must not be used and should be fixed immediately. Use of defective appliances may lead to the overheating of wires that may cause fire.

Tip no. 13: Plug your power tools directly to the wall socket. Use extension cords only as a necessary alternative.

Tip no. 14: Keep your place clean at all times. Combustible items must always be disposed properly to avoid starting a fire.

Tip no. 15: Keep a fire extinguisher. Preferably, keep an ABC type of fire extinguisher in the kitchen and working areas. At least two members of the family should know how to use it.

Fire prevention pointers from  http://www.lamudi.com.ph/journal/31-fire-safety-tips-time-fire-prevention-month-2017/

LEAVE A REPLY